BorgWarner S480SX-E – 80.30mm S400SX-E
Utilizing the latest generation 80.30mm billet EFR compressor wheel aerodynamics with uprated 360 degree thrust assemblies, the all new ‘SX-Enhanced’ turbos redefine performance and value for modern turbochargers.
This proven design is packaged in a purpose built SX-E compressor housing with ported-shroud inlet and speed sensor port. It is paired with traditional Airwerks 96mm Inconel Turbine and Flexible Housing options. The brand new 80.30mm S400SX-E Turbocharger from Borg Warner is the 4th largest T6 turbo in the Airwerks lineup. Ideal for applications which require more airflow than the Garrett GTX45R or 76mm S400SX, but also want better fitment than most T6 turbos. Higher airflow rates make this an excellent match for high-boost and high-power 80mm drag racing applications. Thermals are taken care of by an Oil-Cooled Journal Bearing only.
Compressor Type: Forged-Milled Wheel (FMW) Extended Tip
Compressor Wheel OD (Exducer): 110.00mm
Compressor Wheel Inducer: 80.30mm
Max Flow Rate: 138 lb/min
Max Recommended Turbo Shaft Speed: 97406 RPM
Compressor Housing Connections:
Inlet: 5.5″ Hose Coupler
Outlet: 3.5″ Hose Coupler
Turbine Type: Inconel S400SX Turbine Wheel
Turbine Wheel OD: 96mm
Housing Material: D5S sandcast
Housing Size and A/R ratio: S400SX-E 11096 (S480SX-E) is available in four (4) different turbine housing configurations:
- 1.15 A/R T6 Twin Scroll
- 1.32 A/R T6 Twin Scroll
- 1.45 A/R T6 Twin Scroll
- 1.58 A/R T6 Twin Scroll
Turbine Outlet: 5.75″ Marmon
BorgWarner SX-E Turbo Features:
- Available as a complete turbo -or- Supercore (no turbine housing) to retrofit existing Airwerks installations.
- Forged milled compressor wheels with Optimized compressor blade aerodynamics
- All-new severe duty 360 degree thrust bearing
- Compressor cover integrated speed sensor port and pre-machined boost port
- Flexible compressor cover outlet options: coupler or vband
- Interchangeable with existing Airwerks turbine housings for plug-and-play upgrades
- Optional Turbo Speed Sensor Kit
- Optional Turbo Speed Gauge
Airwerks® Series Turbochargers
Simple. Scalable. Strong.
Airwerks turbochargers are designed for the competitive motorsports market as well as drivers retrofitting a naturally aspirated engine or looking for a little more performance from a factory turbocharged car.
Engineered specifically for drag racing, pulling, and road racing, AirWerks turbochargers have earned a reputation as robust, brute-force induction systems. Looking for a no-frills replacement? Want to upgrade your turbocharger? Working with limited space? BorgWarner’s AirWerks turbochargers are the perfect go-to product for many applications.
With a twin hydrodynamic journal bearing design, AirWerks turbochargers feature an effective high-pressure ratio compressor stage, extended-tip technology and a high-efficiency turbine stage. The configuration provides ultra-fast response and more than 70 PSI of boost.
- 3AN oil feed line is recommended. If -4AN or larger is used, an oil restrictor is required (just like GT turbos)
- This turbo uses a T6 Divided footprint, with 5.75″ Marmon Downpipe connection
- This turbo features an extended tip compressor wheel for increased high boost performance and map width.
Click HERE for the Borg Warner Turbocharger Troubleshooting Guide
- Max warm oil pressure: 5 bar (73.5psi)
- Max cold oil pressure: 8 bar (118psi)
- When starting a fresh engine build or in extremely cold climates – oil pressure must reach 0.5bar (7.2psi) within 4 seconds maximum.
- Do not load the engine with full boost and WOT until full operating oil pressure is present
- Do not load the engine with full boost and WOT if any boost leaks are present (this can result in turbocharger overspeed)