S472SX-E – 72mm Enhanced S400 SXE 9687
BorgWarner 72.0mm SX-E is designed for drag racing in competitive 72mm limited inducer applications. It has also found success with high power diesels. Utilizing state of the art 10 full-blade “C10” compressor design, this turbo is capable of flowing massive airflow rates in excess of 110 lbs/min. Higher airflow rates make this an excellent match for high-boost and high-power applications. Oil-Cooled Journal Bearing only.
Compressor Type: Forged-Milled Wheel (FMW) Extended Tip
Compressor Wheel OD (exducer): 96mm
Compressor Wheel Inducer: 72mm
Max Flow Rate: 110 lb/min
Compressor Housing Connections:
Inlet: 5.5″ Hose Coupler
Outlet: 3″ Hose Coupler
Turbine Type: Inconel S400SX Turbine Wheel
Turbine Wheel OD: 87.37mm
Housing Material: D5S sandcast
Housing Size and A/R ratio: S400SX-E 9687 (S472SX-E) is available in four (4) different turbine housing configurations:
- 0.90 A/R T4 Single Scroll
- 1.00 A/R T4 Twin Scroll
- 1.10 A/R T4 Twin Scroll
- 1.25 A/R T4 Twin Scroll (Recommended for 30+psi Boost Levels)
BorgWarner SX-E Turbo Features:
- Forged milled compressor wheels with Optimized compressor blade aerodynamics
- all-new severe duty 360 degree thrust bearing
- Compressor cover integrated speed sensor port and pre-machined boost port
- Flexible compressor cover outlet options: coupler or vband
- Interchangeable with existing Airwerks turbine housings for plug-and-play upgrades
- Optional Turbo Speed Sensor Kit
- Optional Turbo Speed Gauge
Airwerks® Series Turbochargers
Simple. Scalable. Strong.
Airwerks turbochargers are designed for the competitive motorsports market as well as drivers retrofitting a naturally aspirated engine or looking for a little more performance from a factory turbocharged car.
Engineered specifically for drag racing, pulling, and road racing, AirWerks turbochargers have earned a reputation as robust, brute-force induction systems. Looking for a no-frills replacement? Want to upgrade your turbocharger? Working with limited space? BorgWarner’s AirWerks turbochargers are the perfect go-to product for many applications.
With a twin hydrodynamic journal bearing design, AirWerks turbochargers feature an effective high-pressure ratio compressor stage, extended-tip technology and a high-efficiency turbine stage. The configuration provides ultra-fast response and more than 70 PSI of boost.
Tony Palo tuning an Acura Integra w/ BorgWarner 72mm S400 SXE Turbocharger for SFWD on a MoTec ECU at T1RaceDevelopment:
- 3AN oil feed line is recommended. If -4AN or larger is used, an oil restrictor is required (just like GT turbos)
Click HERE for the Borg Warner Turbocharger Troubleshooting Guide
- Max warm oil pressure: 5 bar (73.5psi)
- Max cold oil pressure: 8 bar (118psi)
- When starting a fresh engine build or in extremely cold climates – oil pressure must reach 0.5bar (7.2psi) within 4 seconds maximum.
- Do not load the engine with full boost and WOT until full operating oil pressure is present
- Do not load the engine with full boost and WOT if any boost leaks are present (this can result in turbocharger overspeed)